Cerebral Palsy Attorney in Connecticut

Your child’s birth should be a joyful occasion, but often, negligent medical professionals can turn that special day into a nightmare for everyone, including your baby.

One type of brain damage that can occur because of medical error and negligence is hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE). This happens when your baby experiences oxygen deprivation before or during the birth. It can have serious and lasting consequences, including the development of cerebral palsy.

If your child has suffered a brain injury because of medical malpractice, you need to turn to a lawyer for cerebral palsy in Connecticut. At Kennedy, Johnson, Schwab & Roberge, we’re here to offer the support you need. Call us today.

What Is HIE?

HIE refers to a brain injury that occurs before, during, or shortly after birth. It happens when blood or oxygen flow to the brain stops or slows.

Some children who experience HIE may not have long-term consequences, but many do, and they may experience damage not just to the brain but to many organs. The longer a baby’s brain is without oxygen, the worse the damage will be.

Although HIE can sometimes occur naturally if a baby’s heart or lungs haven’t developed correctly or if there are other issues during gestation, it’s often the result of medical malpractice. This occurs when healthcare providers fail to meet the standard of care for the profession and that failure results in an injury to the patient.

A medical professional has to monitor the mother and the fetus throughout the entire gestation so they can spot any issues that could make HIE possible. During labor and delivery, a fetal heart rate monitor alerts providers if vital signs go outside the normal parameters.

If there’s fetal distress or other complications, healthcare providers have to act quickly and conduct a cesarean section or other procedure that could prevent injuries to the mother and baby. If the provider fails to take the necessary steps, they can be held liable.

Once the baby is born, they have to be immediately checked using the Apgar score. If there are signs of oxygen deprivation, the healthcare provider has to perform cooling therapy to prevent the progression of brain damage. If they fail to do so, it can also be considered medical malpractice.

Some of the most common signs of HIE are:

  • Excessive crying
  • Poor feeding
  • Slightly increased or decreased muscle tone
  • Seizures
  • Irregular heart rate
  • Irregular blood pressure
  • No reaction to stimuli
  • Absent reflexes
  • Metabolic acidosis
  • Pale or blue skin at birth

If a medical professional’s errors led your baby to suffer oxygen deprivation and develop HIE, turning to an HIE attorney in Connecticut like Kennedy, Johnson, Schwab & Roberge is essential.

The Connection Between HIE and Cerebral Palsy

Cerebral palsy is a group of disorders that affect a person’s movement and ability to maintain balance and posture. HIE can cause the kind of brain damage that leads to cerebral palsy.

Normally, connections in the brain make it possible for neurons to send signals to muscles, letting the body move normally and in a controlled manner. In someone who has cerebral palsy, these connections are damaged, which can result in rigid muscles or very low muscle tone. Sometimes, the damage can cause muscle spasms, too.

The severity of the cerebral palsy your child has depends on the extent of the damage. Some children will need to use special equipment to help them walk or may not be able to walk at all, while others with milder cerebral palsy might walk awkwardly but manage on their own.

Cerebral palsy can also lead to vision and hearing issues, intellectual disabilities, changes in the spine, and more.

Why You Should Turn to a Connecticut Cerebral Palsy Lawyer

If your child has suffered HIE and developed cerebral palsy or other birth injuries, you need to have experienced lawyers ready to fight for your rights. Medical malpractice is a serious issue that often has devastating consequences, and you don’t want to go through the process of getting compensation on your own.

When you turn to an HIE lawyer in Connecticut, you have an ally who will objectively look at your claim and start gathering the necessary evidence to help prove it.

Because you’re dealing with a child in distress, it helps to have people on your side who will reach out to expert witnesses and gather the medical records and other necessary proof. We have years of experience with these kinds of claims, so we know exactly what can make a difference.

A lawyer will also negotiate with the other parties. When you’re dealing with medical malpractice, this can mean insurance companies that cover the healthcare provider as well as those that cover hospitals or other facilities. You never want to tackle these negotiations on your own.

If we feel the negotiations aren’t going the way you deserve, we can also file a cerebral palsy lawsuit and take your case to court.

Available Compensation for HIE or Cerebral Palsy Claims

When you file an HIE or cerebral palsy claim, you can ask for economic and non-economic damages.

Economic damages are those that have a monetary value. The most common of these is medical expenses. You should be able to get coverage for hospital bills, therapy sessions your child will need, any equipment they could require to move around, and much more.

If the damage is severe enough to lead to disabilities, future medical expenses have to also be covered.

Non-economic damages tend to be a bit more complex since they involve more subjective losses. Pain and suffering is one of these. The physical and mental distress your child and you have gone through as a result of the birth injury deserves compensation.

When you schedule a consultation with Kennedy, Johnson, Schwab & Roberge, we can give you an idea of the kind of damages you can claim and what you can expect from the entire process. Reach out to us to get started.

How it Works

Contingency Fees

At Kennedy, Johnson, Schwab & Roberge, P.C., we handle all Cerebral Palsy cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that we do not get paid unless and until you receive a settlement or a jury award.

Schedule a free, confidential consultation with a skilled Connecticut personal injury lawyer today. Contact us online or call our New Haven law firm directly at 203-865-8430.


Cerebral Palsy FAQs

What Will It Cost to Start My Claim?

At Kennedy, Johnson, Schwab & Roberge, we don’t charge any upfront fees. We know the strain you’re under as you deal with the aftermath of medical malpractice, and the last thing we want is to add to your worries. We work on a contingency fee basis. If you get a settlement, we take a percentage from that to pay for our expenses and services.

Do I Have to Get a Lawyer for a Cerebral Palsy Claim?

It’s not a requirement to get a lawyer to represent you, but it’s the best thing you can do. Unless you have experience with these types of claims in Connecticut, it can be very difficult to win the compensation you deserve.

Lawyers like us are ready to take the burden of the process from your shoulders so that you can focus on your child. We will do everything, from gathering evidence to negotiating with insurance companies. Keep in mind that you’re more likely to get a better settlement with a lawyer than without one.

How Will a Medical Malpractice Claim Help My Child?

A child who has cerebral palsy or has suffered other damage because of HIE is likely to need ongoing care. By filing a claim, you have the chance to get compensation to cover the costs of the therapies and assistance that can make a huge difference in your child’s life as well as in your own.

With the right funds, you can help your child lead a more normal life, no matter the level of damage they’ve suffered.

Schedule a Consultation in Connecticut With Kennedy, Johnson, Schwab & Roberge

A medical professional’s negligence can irrevocably damage lives, but you have the chance to get help for your child if they’ve suffered a birth injury like HIE. By hiring lawyers who have experience with these kinds of claims and who will fight for your rights every step of the way, you can get compensation.

At Kennedy, Johnson, Schwab & Roberge, we have been providing our services for 30 years, allowing people to recover the damages they deserve. You can get started today with just a phone call. Reach out to our team for assistance.

Top Medical Malpractice Results