Workplace Injury Attorney in Norwalk, CT

What happens after you get injured at work? If you are lucky, a helpful HR representative guides you through the workplace injury and workers’ compensation process. Then, if you are really lucky, the insurance company willingly and promptly compensates you for your lost work time, medical bills, and any other expenses resulting from the injury.

Unfortunately, it rarely goes that easily. Usually, you are inundated with tight deadlines and confusing paperwork, eventually leading to you getting less money than you should or potentially getting nothing at all.

At Kennedy, Johnson, Schwab & Roberge, we don’t think that is fair. Our workplace injury lawyers work night and day to help people like you get the compensation they are owed after suffering an injury in the workplace. If you or a loved one was recently hurt at work, contact our law firm immediately to schedule a free consultation with a knowledgeable work injury attorney in Norwalk, CT.

What to Do After Suffering an Injury in the Workplace in Norwalk, CT

Workplace injury laws in Connecticut are pretty strong. Nearly every worker is covered, and every employer is required to maintain workers’ compensation insurance as long as they have at least one employee. Furthermore, unless you harm yourself or your injury is due to drugs or alcohol, workplace injury protections ignore fault.

However, with all those protections, the workers’ compensation process is still quite rigid. Make a mistake, and you could find yourself receiving less compensation than you should. As soon as you are hurt, take the following steps.

Get Medical Attention Immediately

Before you inform your employer of your injury or contact workplace injury lawyers, you should get immediate medical attention. Your health should always be your highest priority. Furthermore, by not getting immediate medical attention, you could be hurting your ability to get compensation for your injuries.

A workers’ compensation attorney in Norwalk, CT, from Kennedy, Johnson, Schwab & Roberge will help you determine what doctors you should use for future treatments based on your needs and your employer’s insurance.

Inform Your Employer of Your Injury

According to the Workers’ Compensation Commission, you should do this first. However, if your injuries are serious enough, that isn’t possible. It is usually better to get immediate medical attention and then contact your employer as quickly as possible afterward.

The important thing is that you must advise your employer of your injury as promptly as possible. A workers’ compensation lawyer from our law firm can help you with this step. 

Contact Kennedy, Johnson, Schwab & Roberge as Soon as Possible

The first three steps are largely interchangeable, assuming your injuries aren’t too serious. If, for example, you call us immediately after getting injured, we will help you contact your employer and get medical attention as quickly as possible.

You don’t have to contact our law firm within minutes or even hours of getting hurt. However, we highly encourage you to call or email us before the end of the day and within 24 hours at most. The sooner you contact our law firm, the sooner a work injury lawyer in Norwalk can start working on your case.

File a Claim Quickly

You may have noticed that every step so far — including this one — involves a sense of urgency. This is one of the reasons that the workers’ compensation process can be so stressful. It involves a lot of steps that need to happen rapidly.

If you don’t complete a step within the proper amount of time, your claim will be delayed, or the insurance company may even deny it. This rule also applies to filing your claim.

You may think that you filed the claim when you notified your employer and filled out the First Report of Injury(FRI) form. That is not the case. You need to file an appropriate official claim (usually using the Commission’s Form 30C).

Again, our Norwalk workplace injury lawyers can help with this step. We will collect evidence and gather documentation of your injury. The more information we provide during the initial claim, the harder it will be for the insurance company to deny or undervalue your claim. Then, a work injury attorney at Kennedy, Johnson, Schwab & Roberge will ensure your claim is properly filed.

Remain in Contact With the Insurance Company Throughout the Claims Process

This is the step where a lawyer can help most. Once you file the claim, you often find yourself in waiting mode while bills pile up. We will help you document every expense and regularly contact the insurance company.

Insurance companies know that anyone who is represented by a lawyer is willing to go to court if necessary to protect their rights. Kennedy, Johnson, Schwab & Roberge have a long history in Connecticut and most of the insurance companies are familiar with our results. Usually, they would rather agree to a fair settlement than risk losing even more money in court.

How it Works

Contingency Fees

At Kennedy, Johnson, Schwab & Roberge, P.C., we handle all Workplace Injuries cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that we do not get paid unless and until you receive a settlement or a jury award.

Schedule a free, confidential consultation with a skilled Connecticut personal injury lawyer today. Contact us online or call our New Haven law firm directly at 203-865-8430.


Workplace Injuries FAQs

Can the Insurance Company Deny My Workers' Comp Claim?

Yes. The insurance company can dispute your claim for several reasons. However, if it disputes your claim, it must promptly notify you that your claim has been denied and let you know why. You have several appeal options, including filing a lawsuit if your claim is denied. A Norwalk workplace injury attorney at our law firm will help you navigate these options.

How Long Will I Have to Wait to Receive Compensation Payments?

Your employer must issue a claim denial within 28 calendar days to contest a claim.. We will work with your employer or the insurance company to get payment for your time out of work as soon as possible.. If the insurance company is intentionally stalling or delaying, we may be able to get you additional compensation.

Can My Employer Force Me to Be Treated by a Specific Doctor?

No, but they can require you to initially be evaluated a doctor that is covered by the employer’s insurance plan. Our workers’ compensation attorneys can help you navigate this process. 

When Will I Have to Return to Work?

That decision belongs to your doctor. This is the reason that you should use a doctor you can trust to protect your interests rather than the interests of the insurance company.

The doctors who treat you will provide estimates on when you can return to work and limitations that you may labor under when you return. If your injury lasts for a long enough time, your doctors will update this prediction as your recovery continues. Your employer can’t require you to return to work before your doctor approves that return. If they try, contact one of our workplace injury lawyers in Norwalk immediately.

I Was Hurt While on Break — Does That Count as a Workplace Injury?

It depends on the circumstances. For example, if you were hurt while eating lunch in the cafeteria at work, you should be covered. However, if you were hurt while at McDonald’s, that injury probably wouldn’t be covered. A work injury lawyer at Kennedy, Johnson, Schwab & Roberge will investigate to determine whether you have a claim.

Contact a Work Injury Lawyer Today

Getting compensation after a workplace injury is important. It will help you stay financially stable while out of work and receiving medical bills. Our law firm has helped countless people get compensation after a workplace injury. Contact Kennedy, Johnson, Schwab & Roberge today to learn how we can help protect your rights in Norwalk, CT.

Top Results