If you have scheduled a consultation with an attorney after being injured in an accident, you have already taken the first step toward getting the compensation that you deserve.
There is no need to feel nervous about meeting with your attorney for the first time. If you are worried about forgetting details relating to your accident, it can be helpful to make notes for yourself that you can use during the meeting.
It’s also a good idea to gather information that can be useful to your lawyer prior to the meeting. This information includes:
- The names and addresses of:
- The hospital you were taken to
- The ambulance company that took you there
- Any doctors or chiropractors who treated you
- Witnesses to your accident
- The dates of:
- Any visits to the hospital/emergency room/chiropractor
- Any days you were unable to work due to your injuries
- Documents including:
- A copy of your accident report
- Copies of any written statements
- Applicable insurance policies
- Health insurance documents
- Copies of any correspondence you have had pertaining to the accident
- Medical bills for your treatment
- Receipts for anything you’ve had to buy or fix because of your injuries
For a full checklist of information and documents to bring to your first meeting with your personal injury lawyer, see our Personal Injury Tools page.
If you do not have access to all of these items prior to your first meeting with your attorney, don’t worry. You will have plenty of time to gather everything that you need, but having as many of these items at your initial meeting will mean that your attorney can start working on getting you the compensation you deserve right away.