After a tragic fire that killed his three daughters, a man is filing a wrongful death claim against the city along with several other defendants. On Christmas morning in Stamford, Connecticut last year, a fire burst into flames creating a firetrap with no smoke detectors or fire alarms to alert the victims. The three girls died before they were able to escape the home.
The premises liability wrongful death claim alleges that the fire was the result of negligent construction and the city’s failure to properly inspect and issue building permits. According to the complaint:
- The home was a firetrap as a result of faulty and substandard construction
- The contractor failed to oversee the installation of a hard-wired smoke detection system as part of renovations
- The delay in renovations failed to meet standard contracting practices
- The city should have known that the renovations were beyond the scope of the work permits issued
- The general contractor acted without having a proper contractor’s license
Any injury or death resulting from failed maintenance or dangerous premises can give rise to a legal cause of action against any responsible individuals or entities . According to the lawsuit, there were five named defendants, including the city of Stamford, a contractor, the architect, electrician, and general contractor listed on the building permit of the home. The associated companies of the defendants were also listed.
Source: Connecticut Post, “Father Files Lawsuit in Christmas Day Fire,” Jeff Morganteen, July 11, 2012.